Hello lovelies, Ever since my mom passed away 5 years ago around Christmas of 2011, I have been battling with depression and anxiety ever since. I was only 16 years old at the time of her death and 3 months later I was hit with the harshness of reality, I discovered I was pregnant with my first daughter. I was afraid, ecstatic and sad all at once. I had to be strong for my daughter but I didn’t know what steps to take or where to begin. My mother was the person I would turn to for everything – unfortunately I no longer have that privilege anymore. What was I going to do? 17 years old with a newborn baby and always at war with myself. I was ready to grab ahold of my happiness once and for all and never let go.
One day I sat down with a pencil and paper and considered what would make my mother proud? Continuing my education, traveling the country , be a full time mother, own my own business? The list was non-stop. However, I had no clue what would make her proud because she couldn’t confirm it. I was so focused on fulfilling my mom’s “independence” trait that I failed to realize what my mom really wanted overall – that’s for me and my siblings to be happy.
Now I’m a full time working mother providing for my family after a struggling 4 years of battling depression and anxiety and I’m in a much better and happier place. But it wasn’t easy, It didn’t take a few days It took time and patience to convince myself I’m strong and I can conquer anything if I put my mind to it.I wasn’t myself and everyone around me knew something wasn’t quite right. Once it took a toll on my loved ones I had to spring into action.
I completed 5 easy steps that helped me gain my mental strength back once for all and became stress free during the process . I hope these tips helps you like they have helped me.
1. Dont Waste Energy on Things You Can’t Control! – Anytime something didn’t go how I planned or expected I immediately shift the situation off of me onto something else and shut down. I get completely discouraged and want to give up. However we can’t control how things unravel once it starts. The only thing we can control is how we handle it once everything goes into place – bad or good. Accept any responsibility that’s related to you and move on.
2. You CAN’T Please Everyone and DON’T– Trying to care less about pleasing everyone was one of the hardest things I struggled to change and ultimately stop while trying to build my mental strength. Not everyone is going to see the potential in your work – and that’s okay. Anytime someone wasn’t to fond of my material I would ask for insight, tips, recommendations on books or videos etc to gain knowledge and hear a success story as well. Accepting constructive criticism shows your willing to hear different opinions to improve your projects and it also shows how mature one can be without getting offended by someone’s views.
3. Don’t Give Up After The First Try– I know we’re all expecting to see our creation and hard work pay off at the end and shoot only to the top. But what if your masterpiece didn’t get the results you we’re looking for? Everyone started off at the same place – the bottom. We all have a project we put our blood,sweat and tears into for it to only come up short at the end. It’s only up to you if you want to change the scenery and move up the ladder to success and productivity.
4. Don’t Let Fear Stop You From Taking “Life Changing” Risks.- Taking risks can be sometimes worrisome for others. However, I always recommend to outweigh your options before making any final decisions. Learning the benefits and downfalls of accepting the possibilities of a risk can point you in the right direction without harm coming to your mental health or brand.
5. If Its From The Past, Keep It There. – Never dwell on the past and regret any decision you made. Acknowledge what decisions were made and grow from the life learning experience. Live for the present and grow for the future ahead of you.
“The minute you think about giving up, Think of the reason why you held on for so long.”
I hope these strategies make the road to your destination much brighter and clear to travel. Cheers to gaining your mental strength and happiness!
Do you have any other strategies or tips to improve your metal health? Comment below!
Until next time!